This soup is everything you could want in a meal! Healthy, filling, and definitely delicious. You can tweak the recipe to your liking, depending on if you like more veggies or broth. However you like it, this soup is rich with protein, and packed with other healthy nutrients. I always have it with some toasted bread to dip! Enjoy!
- 2 TBS extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- Half an onion
- 6 C chicken broth (you can substitute vegetable)
- 1-2 C water
- 14 ½ oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 carrots, peeled and rinsed
- ¾ C pasta
- 15 oz. can cannellini beans
- ¾ C corn kernels
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Add the onion to the pot, then the garlic. Saute until tender.
- Add broth and water to prevent the garlic from burning. Stir in the tomatoes and bay leaves.
- Dice the carrots, and add to the pot. Leave on low-medium heat for about 7-10 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the beans (rinsed) and corn.
- Season the broth with dried thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper to taste. Simmer for 5-10 more minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves, and enjoy!
Benefits of Food Items
- Carrots: rich in vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, vitamin B8, pantothenic acid, folate, potassium, iron, copper, and manganese
- Onions: contain chromium, which assists in regulating blood sugar. The phytochemicals in onions along with their vitamin C help improve immunity.
- Cannelloni Beans: provide steady energy for hours following their consumption; prevents early Diabetes (healwithfood.org)
~Written by Alison Ryu