As Queen Bey once said, “Take one pint of water, add a half pound of sugar, the juice of eight lemons, the zest of half lemon.” You don’t have to be Beyonce to enjoy a good glass of lemonade. With summer rolling around, the refreshing beverage will take some of the heat off everyone. Although FEM loves Beyonce, we’ve made a few edits to her recipe to make it a bit healthier.
Ingredients (recipe serves 6 people)
- ½ cup coconut nectar, agave, or honey
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (this will be 6-8 lemons)
- 4 cups cold water
- Add sugar and 1 cup water to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Once boiled, remove from heat and add to a glass pitcher.
- Add lemon juice, coconut nectar/agave/honey and remaining water.
- Place in the fridge for 2-3 hours to chill.
- Serve with ice cubes.
- Lemon: nourishing elements like vitamin C, vitamin B6, vitamin A, vitamin E, folate, niacin thiamin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, copper,calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, phosphorus and protein.
- Coconut Nectar: medium chain triglycerides in coconut oil have been shown to increase 24 hour energy expenditure
- Agave: favorable glycemic profile
- Honey: contains flavonoids, antioxidants which help reduce the risk of some cancers and heart disease. (care2.com)
Now what are you waiting for? Go make yourself some lemonade!